To be awarded the Otto Bernet Memorial Scholarship, the following requirements must be met:
- Applicant must have been a residence of the geographic area encompassed by the Virginia Chefs Association for a minimum of 12 months
- Applicant must show proof of acceptance or demonstrated intent to enroll in a baking, pastry, or culinary curriculum at a post secondary institution
- Two letters of reference must be provided from secondary or post secondary educators, one of which must be the student's instructor, indicating likelihood of success in a post secondary educational program
- One letter of reference must be provided describing personal attributes that bear upon the applicant's future as a culinary artist
- A 1000 to 2000 word essay that details the educational and professional goals that the applicant has set for his or herself.
- The applicant must be a member in good standing as a junior member or junior culinarian member of the Virginia chefs Association. There is no length of time required prior to submitting the application.
*Note: If awarded, the scholarship will be $1000 payable to the student's account at the designated institution. If a student maintains a GPA of 3.25 or higher, it will be renewable for up to four years of higher pastry or culinary education. A transcript must be provided with proof of GPA in order to receive the renewable award.